Whether you believe the current warming trends are significant or not, the earth’s climate is changing as it always has been – but more than ever and at an unprecedented rate. So how does this affect you and how you live right now? Well, if you are looking for a new home, the value of a ‘green building’ not only has positive effects on your bank account but also offers great ecological benefits.
Let’s start with the environment. The Green Building Council of Australia (GBCA) was established in 2002 to introduce and drive the adoption of sustainable practices in the Australian property industry. In 2003 the company launched their Green Star environmental rating system for buildings. This rating system aims to certify buildings on their overall impact on greenhouse gas emissions, energy usage, water consumption and more. Lucky for both the planet and us, AERIS is on its way to receiving a 5-green star rating for ‘Australian Excellence’. From the type of concrete used down to the joinery, all aspects of the building’s design, construction and fit-out have been considered in relation to sustainability and impact on the environment.
Some of the key features of AERIS are as follows:
- At least 90% of construction waste will be diverted from landfill.
- All paints, adhesives and sealants, flooring, wall and ceiling coverings applied on site are low Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC).
- All composite wood products used are low or zero formaldehyde.
- PVC minimisation and the use of Best Practice PVC is being targeted.
- The design provides access to daylight to all living areas, bedrooms, and kitchen areas. Notably, the high level of daylight is achieved through light wells in the naturally ventilated and daylight corridor.
- Each dwelling is designed to be fully naturally ventilated with open-able windows to all bedrooms and living rooms, and cross ventilation provided through the majority of living areas.
- All common areas including the car park area are naturally ventilated.
- The development is targeting an average 7.5 Star NatHERS rating.
- Flooring, joinery and internal wall materials are selected to comply with the MURT criteria.
- Each dwelling has a separate electricity and water meter.
- Individual gas usage will be determined by a resource use management system.
- Ceiling fans will be provided and all air conditioning units will be selected to be within 1 Star of the highest possible rating.
- All cooking appliances will be non-electric.
- Dedicated storage areas, compost facilities and over-sized storage facilities will be provided, as well as recycling facilities.
- All apartments have a storage area suitable for bikes, plus internal spaces and 5 racks for visitor bikes.
- All fittings will be WELS 4 or 5 Star and recycled water will be utilised for toilets.
- All apartments will be provided with a master isolation switch point. All communal areas will include automated lighting controls.
At the end of the day, a more energy efficient and sustainable building means benefits for everyone. Reduced gas and electricity rates benefit the homeowner, reduced waste benefits our planet and reduced emissions keeps Adelaide’s air clean.
Want to learn more about the benefits of living at AERIS? Check our blog regularly and reach out to the Connekt team at Bowden.